Deep Rising

Deep Rising - 3.25 stars

Mother Nature can be a scary and powerful force. I can attest this myself, seeing my local community devastated by floods earlier this summer. And just look at what hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes and other forces of nature that can inflict tremendous damage on the world. When such things happen, it makes us all remember just how little control we, as humans, have over our environment.

Now imagine that somehow that power could be harnessed by those who want to cause terror and death around the globe? Scary, huh? Well that’s what this book deals with. The heroine, Svetlana, is a scientist who wrote her thesis on the power of tsunamis and the areas of the world that are vulnerable and could cause mass damage and casualties. Someone has taken her paper –which she wrote as a warning to show those in power, basically, that such vulnerabilities exist—and plans to use it for nefarious purposes. When the book opens we see the devastation that the “bad guys” can cause and we soon learn there is more where that came from.

Enter Jared, a CIA agent and former Special Forces member who just wants to retire so he can help his mother take care of his sister’s children. (His sister died several months before). Jared is tasked with finding Lana and determining whether she is on the evil plot, or just an innocent in all of it.
I’m sure you can imagine that sparks fly when these two meet. Not only is Lana appalled someone would use her research for evil, but she’s also super attracted Jared. And he’s attracted to her. But he has a job to do, so he needs to focus on saving the world, not making out with Lana. And soon, the two are on a plane to stop the baddies and save the world. And of course, if it all works out, fall in love.

This book was a really great mix of suspense, romance and action, and I found myself engaged in the plot (and with the characters) right up to the end. It’s not often that a romantic suspense book is actually written in a, well, suspenseful manner. Often they either drag in the middle, or resolve too quickly at the end, and I’m left unsatisfied. I am happy to say that this book does not leave me in such a state. The author did a great job writing a fast-paced and action packed adventure with a hot hero, a smart, sassy heroine who is no wimp, and a plot that seriously has me questioning ever going to an island again. (I was already more than a bit frightened by the power of the ocean. Now, yeah…I think I’ll stay on dry land!)

The writing was solid and I didn't find any editing errors that yanked me out of the story. In fact, I don’t think I noticed many –if any- at all. Usually I highlight them or something so I can prepare the review and looking back at the ARC, I don’t see anything. I am looking forward to reading more from this author, and definitely can't wait to read the second in this series.

*I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own*