Romancing His English Rose - Catherine Hemmerling I wanted to rate this book a three. I really did. I loved Rose and her glasses and her book smarts and her adoration for Simon. (It was so cute when she said "mine"! Loved that.) And Simon was cute in a "guy has no clue what is going on" sort of way. The part where Rose pulls him into the library (on a few occasions) had me cracking the heck up. And I liked that there was no love triangle or miscommunication issue that stood in the way of our couple.

I also thought it was perfectly sweet that Simon knew what Rose would want and instead of letting her worry and fuss over the arrangements for their wedding, Simon took care of it all, and in so doing, took care of Rose. That melted my heart into a huge puddle of swoon.

As you can see, I loved and liked a lot about this book. However, I feel that, for me, I can't rate it a 3 because of the style of writing used in the book. As I read the book it felt very episodic to me as opposed to a nice flowing narrative. It was just the way each "scene" was written and the transition between them. There really wasn't any, in fact. It was almost as if I was reading a screen play instead of a novel and that just didn't work. I understand, as a writer, the difficulty in writing effective transitions, especially at scene and chapter breaks. They can be tricky buggers and it's a writing skill that can (and is always) being improved upon. And I hope this author does because the plot and characters are intriguing and fun to read about, and I want to read more. It was just that, with this book, I kept getting stuck, having to go back and re-read, or was jarred out of the narrative because of the sudden "break" that occurred.

For someone else, this might be a 3. And please know, that a 2 doesn't mean this was awful, or bad or anything else that would indicate the book was unreadable. But for me, I just couldn't get past the writing style. A two-star from me also does not mean that I won't try this author (or series) again. I will. In fact, I will likely go back to read the first in the series. My rating means just what that, for me, because of my issues with it, it was okay. Not great, not bad, just okay.

*I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.*