Wicked Games - Jill Myles, Jessica Clare This book was a solid 3.5 to 3.75, hence rounding it up to 4 stars.

I was happily surprised when I read this book. It was short (145 pages on my Nook color; not sure about the word count) and I read it in a couple hours, but it was well worth the time. The writing was tight, I didn't see any editing issues, but most importantly the story, and the characters, kicked butt.

I will admit that at first Abby was a puzzle to me. She was so angry when she got on the island and she took it out on Dean like right away. Sure he might have been a bit competitive but she seemed to focus her anger on only him when it was the women I would have been more concerned about.

Dean was amazing. He had such a big heart, was athletic, strong, seriously sexy, and had awesome skills in the bedroom. The way Abby and Dean came together, going from enemies to reluctant partners, to lovers, was refreshing. Nothing was drawn out and there wasn't a lot of waffling on Abby's part. (I hate books where the couple can't make a decision and it's all drawn out)

The twist in the book, where Abby was betrayed and was questioning everything that happened with Dean was absolutely heartbreaking. The author does an excellent job conveying these emotions to the reader. I was just as conflicted as Abby was as I tried to figure out what the heck was going on. This is one of the marks of an effective author-it's not easy to get the reader to feel what the characters do. But Ms. Myles nailed it.

I look forward to reading more books by this author in the future.

*This book was a self-purchase and I was not in any way compensated for, or even asked, to review this book. All opinions are my own*