Secrets and Sins:  Malachim - Naima Simone 3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this book and I think it was the main characters that did it for me. I really liked how both of the main characters were so broken and had such tragic histories, but the author didn't rush the two getting together. They fought their attraction, especially Danielle since her attraction to Malachim terrified her for a variety of reasons, and that made when they got together that much better.

I wasn't sure how the author would deal with Danielle's past. Sometimes writing the character of a severely abused and terrified woman doesn't translate well on the page. It's a sensitive subject (obviously) and for me, deeply personal, but I'm happy to say that the situation was handled well.

The only issue I did have was with Malachim's 'father' and when he approached Danielle. I didn't understand why she kept it to herself. Given how terrified she was, I expected her to either tell Malachim or run of the hills. Instead she just left things unsaid for a bit and that bothered. I get she was scared of Christopher (and her ex) but when Malachim came to the hospital at a piviotal point in the book, I thought she'd let her guard drop then and there. (Can you tell I'm sometimes impatient?! LOL)

Anyways, I really liked this author's writing style and the way she wove the pieces of the plot together. She definitely can write a suspense plot really well! The only other issue I have is that I had no idea this was part of a series. Had I known, I'd have read book 1. It's not required to get the gist of what is going on but for me it did bug me knowing there was a book 1 out there with an apparent epic plot to it. (And I noticed here on GR that the books don't have listed #1, #2, etc. Not sure how to go about fixing that, but the author or pub might want to do that so readers don't get ticked when reading out of order. You'd be surprised how many readers are OCD about that!) Looking forward to going to back to read the first and then, hopefully, subsequent, books!

*I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.*