Safe in His Arms - Renee Rose What could be hotter than a hotshot military guy who was thought to be dead, returned from said "death" to protect the woman he left behind and his son? Well, add some kink into that, with a dash of spying and bit of suspense/action and you have "Safe In His Arms" by Renee Rose.

This is a novella length book and given that, there isn't too much backstory though the reader is given a glimpse into the hot weekend Zac and Becca spent together before he left for Iraq. Back then, she thought he was a Marine. She found out she was pregnant and then, 6 months later, he was killed. Becca then raised their son, Parker, for 7 years. She never anticipated ever seeing or hearing from Zac again. In fact, other than the pension that was available because Parker was his son, Becca never expected anything.

She certainly didn't expect him to show up in her house and battle her nanny in a fight to the death.

But he did. And this book explores the relationship they had-the one that started on their first weekend and, now that Zac showed again, could resume. Or could it? Zac had secrets. And he didn't really exist either. But now he was faced with Parker, his son, and the one woman he hadn't wanted to leave behind. Could he change his life? Did she love him? Did he love her? And what of their kink? Was it just a game to Becca or more?

Well all that is answered in this book and, though I've read a lot of books in my life, I've never quite read one like this, which involves domestic discipline. I'd seen some aspects of it before in other BDSM books but never where both characters are learning about it and putting it into practice like Zac and Becca are. Although Zac is clearly a dom (and Becca a sub) they aren't totally experienced. Mistakes are made, there is some miscommunication between the two (often resulting in some super steamy scenes! Wowza!), but because of the length of the book, the conflict is not drawn out or belabored.

All in all, this was a good way to spend a few hours of the afternoon and though it wasn't perfect, it has got me thinking about checking out more books about this subject. The writing was well done and the plot was well structured and thought out given the length. I didn't see any loose ends left untied by the end nor did I catch any editing errors that jarred me out of the story. In fact, I thought the editing was very well done. I look forward to checking out the author's other books, both those in the past and hopefully, future ones as well.

*I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.*